Interested in posting a job to the ICA Job Bank? As part of your ICA Membership all posts to the job bank are free and will remain on the site for 60 days!
If you're not a member of ICA there is a $250 charge to post to the website for 60 days.
Interested in becoming a member? View our member benefits and fill out an application for membership here.
Please forward posts to Sibel Clifford, Director of Membership and Operations, at email@example.com.
Posted July 27, 2020
Job Title: VP of Claims, Employee Benefits Services
Who We Are
The Standard is an insurance and financial services company headquartered in Portland, OR. The company has approximately 3,000 employees, 6 million customers and $34 billion in assets under administration.
Our Employee Benefits business includes Group Life, Absence Management, and Long- and Short-Term Disability. Employee Benefits Services (EBS) is the service organization which provides key services (i.e., Sales Support, Policy Administration, Claims Administration, Shared Services, Contact Center) to Brokers, Employers, Insureds, and Claimants.
The EBS organization has approximately 1,100 people in three primary locations: Portland, OR, White Plains, NY, and Altavista, VA.
Location: Candidates seeking a remote position are welcome and encouraged to apply. This position will require occasional travel to The Standard’s offices NY, OR and VA.
What You’ll Do
As VP of Claims, you’ll drive and implement the long-term strategic vision of our claims operations. Working directly with the VP of Life & Disability Services, EBS, you’ll have responsibility for leading the core claims areas (i.e. Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life and Absence Management) to support the future growth of the organization. You’ll be accountable for delivering a “Best-in-Class” customer/claimant experience, overseeing day-to-day execution to deliver customer value and drive top level performance.
Key Responsibilities and Competencies
- Set the vision, direction and strategic roadmap for the Claims team to improve and mature business operations and ensure they’re aligned with The Standard’s Employee Benefits Strategy and overall company strategy
- Maintain governance and an internal controls environment for risk-management, including information systems and preventative and detective controls
- Create and foster an inclusive and diverse organization
- Direct the development of overall claim investigation and management policy and procedures for all Employee Benefits products
- Develop and negotiate relationships with external vendors and firms for joint partnerships and strategic service agreements related to consulting, integrated disability management, claim resolution and similar services
- Drive continuous improvement through Lean in partnership with the Lean Center of Excellence
- Foster a culture of innovation to drive automation and improved customer value
- Direct the development of claims support for new products, product features and service offerings
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, expansion opportunities, customers and markets and liaise with external peers for matters relating to financial, legal, and regulatory issues.
- Ensure the highest levels of customer and employee satisfaction in collaboration with Employee Benefits and individual sales efforts to contribute to the sale and retention of business
- Work effectively with other internal departments such as market research and product marketing to contribute to product development and strengthen the company’s competitive position and reputation in the marketplace
- Monitor regulatory and legislative issues related to claims handling and ensure regulations are being followed
- Oversee change management and communicate critical information to stakeholders, partners, leaders and peers
- Establish relationships with internal and external stakeholders to support the business in achieving its strategic objectives
- Develop leadership talent to deliver performance and results while fostering an environment of continuous learning and sustained growth
The Skills and Background You’ll Need
- 15+ years of experience in a technical discipline with a proven track record leading comparable programs and teams
- 10+ years in a group insurance company in a senior staff role within a claims department
- 10+ years of people leadership experience in leading leaders in building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams
- Bachelor’s degree required
Additional and Preferred
- Advanced degree such as MBA or MIS
- Industry certifications e.g., LOMA, LIMRA, etc.
- Lean training and/or certification
What You’ll Get From Us
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people
Posted July 1, 2020
Job Title: Claim Consultant
The Claims Consultant provides technical expertise and performs complex analysis for reinsurance claims and retro claims. Works independently and with various departments across the organization and US Operations to identify and resolve complex reinsurance claim issues. Assist Claim Department Leadership with and/or oversee the monitoring and adjustment of workflow assignments, training and mentoring with respect to claims matters. Acts as the primary resource for claim unit procedural process improvements and documentation
Acts as subject matter expert and serves as a technical resource to both claim associates and claim management for complex reinsurance claim questions and
Analyzes complex claim data for compliance with treaty terms and systemic reporting
Works with all departments in the US Operations division and other departments within RGA Re to identify needs and resolve problems/issues as they relate to
Contributes to and/or leads the development of claims standards, procedures and dentifies, drives, and participates/leads the development and implementation of system/process enhancements for the Claims
Develops relationships with client companies and seeks resolutions to ensure customer
Monitors and adjusts workflow assignments independently or working with Claims
Prepares reports and monitors claims production results against stated goals
Represents Claims in related projects and cross functional projects including Global Claims initiatives
Provides input to planning, goal setting and ensuring the objectives of the department are
Delivers and provides guidance on claims Event & Exception handling
Oversees various claims reporting
Collaborates with Claims
Serves as a back-up for Claims Examiners
Leads Claim Team meetings
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in insurance, reinsurance, or financial services
6+ years life reinsurance or direct life insurance claims experience
8+ years life reinsurance or direct life insurance claims experience Reinsurance industry knowledge
Progress toward FLMI, ALHC, ARA or other relevant professional accreditation
Skills and Abilities
Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
Basic Microsoft PowerPoint skills
Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills
Intermediate Microsoft Outlook skills
Intermediate SQL skills
Advanced knowledge of reinsurance claim processes
Proven aptitude in reading and interpreting insurance documents and reinsurance
Intermediate interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to train, mentor claim
Ability to multi-task, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
Skilled at presenting in small and medium group settings
Ability to conduct one-on-one training
Effectively influence people to achieve department objectives
Basic negotiating and persuasion skills
Ability to foster a teamwork and customer service focused
Must be flexible and adaptive to change
Intermediate oral and written communication skills demonstrating ability to share and impart knowledge
Takes initiative and is accountable
Exercise independent judgment and intermediate analytical ability in solving complex and sensitive problems
Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
Intermediate investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills
Ability to deal with conflict
Ability to set goals and handle multiple tasks, clients, and projects simultaneously;
Ability to appropriately balance priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is a leader in the global life reinsurance industry with approximately $2.9 trillion of life reinsurance in force and assets of $44.7 billion. We are one of the largest life reinsurance companies in the world